Thursday, January 14, 2010

The One Who Sees Me


I've been meditating on Genesis 16 lately. The chapter is about Hagar, Abraham, Sarai, and the Lord. If you remember from the previous chapter, Sarai gives her servant, Hagar, to Abraham to sleep with so they can have a child. She does not trust the Lord when He says that He will give them a son through her. After sleeping with Abraham, Hagar gets pregnant, and Sarai starts to mistreat her, she resents her. Hagar decides to run away. When she is in the middle of fleeing from the situation, the Lord appears to her. He tells her to go back to Sarai, have the child, and that she would have many descendants. He also tells her that the Lord has heard her misery. At that spot, she names the Lord, "the God who sees me."

I find this comforting. Even though Hagar was not who God wanted to bring His line through, and even though she was a part of sin, He still hears her misery. He is the God who sees her in all situations and loves her. We are not hidden from Him, He sees us. Beer Lahai Roi. He knows.

Speaking of knowing, the Lord has blessed me greatly. He always does, but He has given me something tangible. I have a car now. I got a great deal on it, and I won't go into all the details, but let me just say that no human could have put together a better situation. It is so perfect and tailored to what I am going through right now, that I know it is only the Lord who has done it. He knows what I need, even in the times when I can't hear Him.

No comments: