Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Worst Birthday Ever....


My 23rd year of life began today, and I am sad to say that it was one of the worst birthdays ever. There were a few things that made my heart ache as I checked facebook this morning. Then, certain songs came up on my iTunes when I put it on shuffle that made me pretty sad. I arrived at work 10 minutes early because we were having a mandatory work lunch together, I hate those with a passion. It means that something bad is going to be said or my boss will lecture us on how we are never good enough teachers, blah, blah, blah. Today, it was a different type of announcement. The director of my English school announced that he has sold the school to a lady. By the grace of God, she has agreed to keep our contracts the same and keep us on as teachers. I was not happy to hear that he is leaving, I really like him. The first thing I did when I heard the news, was pray for her, and her time as my employer/school director. Usually, new employers like to make their mark and change things, which means more work for us. I do not want to be asked to come in on weekends or early. After the lunch was over, I had classes and today is my short day. I only have four classes that I teach on Wednesday, but 3 of them were absolutely awful today. If any of you have ever taught before, you know how just one bad class can suck the life from you. Now, imagine 3 bad classes. After classes ended, I was looking forward to going home, but I heard that we were going to dinner. We went to the same restaurant, again, for dinner. It has one kind of food, galbi. I have no idea how it is really spelled, but it is like pork cooked on a grill that you wrap in lettuce with kimchi, radish, and other greens. It is really good, but twice in one day is enough for me. I had already eaten dinner that night too. Dinner came, and I sat next to our new director who is a woman. She seems pretty nice, and her English is descent. My other boss, Scott (he is the vice president of the school) got wasted on Soju again, just like the other two times we have gone out. The new director said she was going to bring me a cake tomorrow because it was my birthday today. We'll see if she remembers, it was nice of her to at least mention it I guess. There were a few bright spots in my day. Andrew got me a present, it's a mug, and if you know me, you know that that is right up my alley. Chloe and I had a good talk at the dinner about certain heart aches that we both are feeling. When it comes down to it, I felt alone today, and that is the worst feeling a person can feel any day birthday or no birthday. A few more bright spots were coming back to the apartment after the dinner and seeing the packages my family had sent me, the messages on facebook, and talking with my cousin Ann online. God reminded me at the end of the day that I am not alone. I think all this is just a reflection on my deep desire for meaningful relationships that I do not have here. Still praying that God will bring them and trying to remember His promises/truth.

2 comments:

Molly Swanson said...

I am so sorry that you didn't have a good birthday. I love you so much!!! I hope today was better and that you know that you are on my heart and mind. Have a happy day after the b-day! love you!

Molly Swanson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.