Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It all begins now

I am finally in Daegu, South Korea. My plane flew into Seoul yesterday night and I was taken to a guest house for the night. This morning, I took a bus to Daegu. It has already been an adventure in these past two days. On the bus ride I met a Canadian man and his Korean wife. He gave me the run down on Daegu, but to be honest, I don't really remember much of what he said. Most of it was about how Daegu is very different from China or Japan. They were both God's grace to me, because when the bus got to Daegu there was no one there to pick me up. They let me use their phone, and waited with me while the whole process got straightened out. The Korean wife's relatives showed up to pick them up, they also helped straighten out the mess. My favorite part of it all was the fact that a Korean lady that I had only known for 2 minutes yelled at them over the phone for me because they were not there to get me yet. As soon as my ride came to get me, they took me over to the school. Today, I observed classes through jetlag, and tomorrow I will begin teaching. Now I am in apartment, or room I should say, haha. I was shocked when I first walked in, but the more I look at it, the more I know that I can live here. God is already stretching me, and it is only day 1. I met all of my co-workers today, they are great, but none of them are believers. I know this will be a great opportunity for me to minister to them, but right now I really miss having community around me. They say that you experience shock when you leave college and go into a job that is not minstry based because you are surrounded by non-believers, and it's true. I had friends in Lubbock that did not know the Lord, but I did not spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with them. All I can say now is pray for me. Pray for quick adjustment to jetlag, that I can be a light to my co-workers, and I can find community to pour back into me while I am here. Love you all.

1 comment:

Molly Swanson said...

Praying for you Julia! I'm so glad you made it there! He is going to use you and grow you so much in this experience! I'm praying for your co-workers, community of believers to support you, and for you to quickly recover from jet-lag! lots of love, molly