Saturday, August 23, 2008

Life before leaving...

There are a few more days left before I leave the country completely, and I have acquired a few funny stories along the way. Let me start with saying that life is strange in this in between period. I go from day to day in a sort of fog wondering if I ever will really leave or be stuck in this limbo forever. I kind of feel like a pod person, it's really lonely. I am half here, not a whole person. Most of the day there will be things that remind me of everyone at home, yes, Lubbock has become home over the last four years. In vain I try to hold back tears, I try to occupy myself with mindless little activities, running thousands of errands, watching movies, but they all end eventually. The point of this melancholy tirade is to say that I'll take a laugh where ever I can get one. That is my preface for the first story. About two days ago I was at an outlet mall with my parents picking up the last odds and ends that I need, so we went into a makeup store. I approach a lady who works there, ask her about my skin type, and what she thought would be best. After telling her I tend to have oily skin at the end of the day, she smiles, nods understandingly, and states that this is a trying age to be in. Then she proceeds to say that her grand daughter who is 12, is starting to break out a lot as well. The next question out of her mouth is, "So how old are you sweety?" and I respond, "Well...I am 22." Needless to say that she was shocked, and then backtracks by saying, "well, don't you look young for your age, you will love that when you are 40." I am thinking, well I am not 40 yet.

The only way to properly introduce my second story, is to tell you a bit about my grandmother. My grandmother is one of the sweetest ladies you will ever meet. She is deathly afraid that I will fall in love with someone who in not American while I am overseas. Her logic is that if I marry a Korean, German, French, Australian man (the ethnicity doesn't really matter), I will never come back to the United States. If I never come back to the States she will never see me again. Today I had lunch with my grandmother, and she was thrilled to discover that I will be living near an American Air Force base. She hopes that I will meet a tall, handsome, American man there, and come back to the States. My grandfather was a tall man, so I think she wants me to meet someone like him. Anyhow, once I meet him I am obligated to send her a picture. I just smiled sweetly across the table and told her I would send her a picture if it ever did happen. Hahaha, not likely to happen, but I will save those reasons for another day or maybe not...so if I happen to fall in love with anyone there be sure you will hear about it on this blog.

2 comments:

Call me Katie said...

Such fun stories! I'm praying for you Jules!

KLytle said...

i'm excited to keep up with you in this lovely blog! miss you jules